Anthem Blue Cross released Q1 2018 rates. Statewide average quarterly rates report a decrease of 0.4% for PPO plans and an increase of 2.4% for HMO plans. Dental and vision plans report no increase. As you will observe from the table below, Anthem reports an overall low rate trend.
|Q1 2016||Q2 2016||Q3 2016||Q4 2016||Q1 2017||Q2 2017||Q3 2017||Q4 2017||Q1 2018||Net Change|
Anthem added two new plan designs that close gaps in their portfolio offering. Gold HMO 1000/30%/4000 and Bronze PPO 4500/35%/6550w/HSA, on both Full and Select networks. The only plan design they discontinued is Silver HMO 1750/40%/7150 on both Full and Select networks. Overall, there were no major portfolio updates, and value adds remain the same. Changes to their existing portfolio include office visits, copays, out-of-pocket and pharmacy, primarily impacting their PPO plans.
Underwriting guidelines and promotions continue through March 15, 2018. As a refresher, the promotions are:
- 30% relaxed participation promo for groups with 5+ enrolled
- On and Off-exchange IFP is considered a valid waiver
- DE-9C is not required for groups with 6+ enrolling, excludes virgin groups. Groups with prior coverage must submit prior carrier bill.
- Dual HMO: Groups can select both HMO networks to be offered alongside each other.
- Same-day turnaround for new business is subject to completeness. Case must use census Enrollment Tool for same-day turnaround. Holidays excluded.
Anthem is going to market with a brand message, Rest Easy, to remove the headaches of enrollment with administrative ease. They are heavily promoting Rest Easy in Los Angeles and San Francisco markets, where they are very competitive.
Contact your LISI Regional Sales Manager to see how Anthem stacks up against competition.